Thursday, August 5, 2010

While we're on Youtube...

The Insight tab on the youtube account is just amazing. It lets me know so much about the kind of audience I get.

For instance, I now know that 86% of my viewership is male, while only 14% is female - going along with the idea that libertarianism today is a man's ideology. (I also talk about philosophy of religion and sociolgy of religion on my youtube channel, so this might not represent the popularity of just libertarianism.)

A little more than 40% of my viewers are between 25 and 35 yrs. old, and almost 40% are between 18 and 25. This might have more to do with who uses what medium, than with what age groups are attracted to which viewpoints. But there is the idea that libertarianim appeals to younger people, and this does correlate with it. What strikes me, though, is that I have more viewers who are older than me than I do who are my age or younger than me. Of course, I would be just as puzzled (and maybe disappointed) if most of my viewers were younger than me.

My videos are being most viewed in the United States. Canada comes in at a close second, and the United Kingdom takes third place. This might have a bit to do with language - I think only two of my videos have ever been viewed in Mexico, and that was a while back. It might also be explained by the idea that libertarianism is very much an American ideology. Of course, I'm not a hub of libertarian mingling, so I wouldn't know. I think I could say, though, that of all the English speaking regions, I have regular viewers in only North America and the UK. I have no regular viewers in Australasia or South Africa. Again, I'm not the hub of libertarian mingling, but is it safe for me to suppose that there are no left-leaning market anarchists Down Under? (Watch, by tomorrow morning I'm going to learn about some Australian cooperative village with its own alternative currency, or something like that...)

I also seem to have a bit of a viewership in Argentina. This has a bit to do with my Falklands video, but my Falklands video isn't the only one of my videos being viewed in Argentina - which is curious, and encouraging.

3 comments:

  1. I don't think libertarianism is an American ideology, it's just called other things elsewhere. My mom says that libertarian political concepts are significantly more popular in Switzerland than here, for instance, they're just not called "libertarianism". Though that is probably a bad example due to the small size of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, in most places in Europe "liberal" means what it used to mean, and people who speak about libertarian ideas there can just use the word liberal. I think Switzerland is a very special case for two reasons: first, because they have such a unique national history (neutrality, semi-autonomous cantons, etc.), and second, despite that heritage they went ahead and federally banned the building of minarets. So even though libertarian ideas might be more popular there, the nation's general cultural commitment to those ideas seems to be slipping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always thought there was a divergence of what the term "libertarianism" means in Europe and the United States. To me when someone references libertarianism in the states I get the picture of ultra conservative, capitalist, no regulation, giant under class, no real middle class. Libertarianism in Europe seems to me to mean individual freedom and protection from government and corporate interests. I didn't know that left leaning libertarianism market anarchism even existed until I started watching your videos. As one of the 14% of your female viewership I have to say that I personally pay more attention to your religion videos. I've always been fascinated by religion, even though I rejected it starting from a very young age and fascinated by peoples belief systems. I like the way you analyze and speak about it respectfully and have a different perspective as you come from an extremely religious background. It would be cool if you made a video about your transformation from fundamentalist Christian to whatever it is you believe now.
    p.s. I think libertarianism is catching on with women. I ran into a 15 year old girl on youtube who was free market libertarian who was arguing with me about Americans having a poor work ethic.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a part-time philosopher and a former immigration paralegal with a BA in philosophy and a paralegal certificate from UC San Diego.