Friday, August 20, 2010

From an email to a friend

Me: ...And yes, I have come accross agorism and mutualism before. I am to the left of agorism and both to the right and to the left of mutualism.

Him: You mean, to the right of some aspects of mutualism, and to the left of others?

Me: I guess so. From what I've seen, most mutualists (or at least the most popular contemporary mutualist writer, Kevin Carson) see primitive accumulation as a problem that can be caused only by government intervention into the economy. I personally believe that primitive accumulation in land can very much be a problem on its own, and I don't think it needs a government to cause and sustain it. So in this sense I'm to the left of mutualism. I think there should be an "upward limit" on how much contiguous land people can legitimately be allowed to accumulte and keep. I should actually phrase it this way - I think there IS an upward limit on how much contiguous land some individual or entitiy can legitimately own - any landholding bigger than a certain size is a state, and states are illegitimate in my book.

I'm also to the right of mutualism in that I'm okay with rent, interest, and profit. I don't see them as dependent on the state, and I don't see them as violations of individual freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a part-time philosopher and a former immigration paralegal with a BA in philosophy and a paralegal certificate from UC San Diego.