Thursday, July 15, 2010

A Comment I Left the Other Day

On Tuesday a friend of mine who I know from my senior year of college (he's in law school in DC now) posted this C4SS article about roads on his Facebook. In a spirit of complete agreement, I left the comment below.
When I hear people defend the state, I often hear them say things like "But how do you think we get roads? and water? and police? and the military?" Which is very funny (though I never laugh at it), because traffic congestion, water waste, police abuse, and imperialist foreign policy are probably the biggest reasons there *has to* be an alternative to government provision of these services. And what makes it even funnier is that the ones raising those contentions are usually leftists who spend the greater part of their day complaining about [sub]urban sprawl (which is a result of underpriced water, free roads, and federally-secured loans), factory farms (for which water subsidies is a factor), the over-abundance of corn (again, water subsidies, and other agricultural subsidies), the crowding out of subsistence farming in Latin American countries by floods of cheap American corn (ditto), the occasional cop who intimidates, beats, or kills unarmed civilians and gets away with it (would it be that typical if there were more competition in police?), and the military that always seems to get stuck in some unwinnable civilian-butchering money-draining war somewhere on the other side of the world.

He clicked "Like" on my comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a part-time philosopher and a former immigration paralegal with a BA in philosophy and a paralegal certificate from UC San Diego.