Saturday, January 24, 2009

Dream Housing

I want my very own room. A room that I may rightfully keep others from entering. A room that I won't have to pay anyone else to be able to live in. A room that I won't be kicked out of for failing to pay any fees. A room that isn't more than I need.

It has to be in a suburb or in a city. I want to get away, but the hills and the country are too far away. The air is dirtier there, and life out there would involve more driving than life in the city or suburb. And more driving means more money spent on gass and less free time.

I don't want a house. I want to live by myself. Houses are made for 5 people, not 1. Why would I want to pay the price of housing 5 people, when I only need to house 1? Why would I want to live in debt for the next 20-30 years of my life paying to house 5 people, when I only want to house 1? I'll already be in debt that long trying to pay off my student loans.

I don't want to rent an apartment. Why would I want to pay someone else every month for somewhere to live, when I can own a place myself? And why would I want an apartment? A 1-room apartment is 1 room too many. I rarely cook on my own, and I kinda like the idea of eating nothing but trail mix and dried mango the rest of my life, so I really won't need a kitchen. It would have to be something like a kitchenless studio. It just needs to be big enough to have a shower sink and toilet, a closet for my clothes, and a room just big enough for bookshelves, a table and chair, and a mat with pillows and blankets.

I want to OWN it like a condo. But I don't want to be required to pay HOA dues just to keep owning it. I want to pay for the utilities on a per-use basis. I would be willing to pay for 1 security guard. I don't need a d! swimming pool. I won't be using a lot of gas, because (1) I won't be cooking and (2) I could wear clothes inside when it's cold. I won't be using much hot water, cause I could take sponge baths when it's not winter (and I don't need to bathe every day anyway).

The HOA is perfectly entitled to give me an incentive to pay my dues, like voting rights in town hall, but I should be able to opt out of that. I don't really need a say in swimming pool hours and how much they pay the night guard, and I want to be able to decide when I want that say, wouthout having it being a necessary condition or necessarily accompanying my right to live in my own room.

"But what if not enough people pay for a night guard?" Well then, I'll put up a sign at the front saying "WARNING. Armed Resident. Guess Which One." The bottom line is that I shouldn't be forced to pay for anything that I don't request, even if I directly or indirectly benefit from it.

"But if you benefit from other people's service then they have the right to force you to pay for it." Not if I don't ask for it. If an HOA can legitimately force me, on pain of eviction, to pay for security service that makes me safer, then it can also legitimately force me to pay for the provision of firearms and weapons training for all residents. That would make me safer, wouldn't it? Most of us can agree that it isn't fair to force people on pain of eviction to pay to arm and train their neighbors, even if it makes them safer, unless the payment is a term of the agreement under which these people got their property. And so, we should also agree that it isn't fair to force people on pain of eviction to pay for any security service unless the payment is a term of the agreement under which they got their property. The fact that I benefit from a service has no bearing on whether I should be forced to pay for it.

"But what if you 'forget' to pay the water and sewer bill?" Then they could cut off my water until I do pay, and if I decide I don't want their water or sewer I could buy tanks of water and go in bowls. And if the stench gets so bad that it becomes a public nuissance or even a public health threat, then they could fine me for causing a health threat or a public nuissance. They shouldn't be able to kick me out of my own room until it becomes very clear that I won't pay my fines, fix the ptoblem, or let anyone else fix the problem for me.

"But what if the contract you sign when you buy the room gives the HOA all these powers you don't want it to have?" Well, since I DON'T want my HOA to have these powers, I'll make sure to not sign any contract that DOES give them these powers.

"No one makes housing arrangements that affordable, that taylored to a suburban wannabe rugged individual's tastes, or that relaxed." Which is what I don't get. Don't people know that there are a lot of guys like me? I thought there would be noticeable demand for an arrangement where a man can live however he wants to in his very own space in a suburb or city so long as he doesn't bother anyone else. If there isn't this kind of demand, then I guess I must be the only one who doesn't want to always be insulted by other people's presence and who doesn't want to be charged for things he doesn't ask for. If there is this demand, then I don't know why it isn't met.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a part-time philosopher and a former immigration paralegal with a BA in philosophy and a paralegal certificate from UC San Diego.